These kids were all cousins, in about 1881, in St Thomas, when they were in town taking the Grade 8 Examination. Clockwise: Ann Lang, John Mowbrey, Hector Lang and Malcolm Paterson.
The photo on the right portrays (left to right): Harold Cox Paterson, Estelle Cox Paterson, Malcolm Paterson, Milcred Paterson and Malcolm Paterson.
Malcolm Paterson was the son of Flora Lang, and the grandson of Hector Lang and Bell Galbraith of Argyll. To look at the genealogy list,
Two of Flora Lang's Children Go South,
The Futvoye-Paterson Lumber Co. became a source of revenue for the town and surrounding area using local help for labor. A railroad was built for several miles into the timberland to haul the logs to the mill. This was dubbed the "Dummy Line".
The mill was composed of a sawmill, a dry kiln planing mill. The resulting manufactured yellow pine lumber was sold to the Northern and Midwest markets.
An incident occurred during the great Gypsy Smith Revival in Macon. A stretch of the dirt road between the towns became impassable during heavy rains, and the Futvoye-Paterson Lumber Co. furnished lumber to construct a causeway through the mud so that cars could get through and people could hear this noted evangelist.
Both newcomer families were from the North originally, having come South with the Brownlee Lumber Co. of Detroit, Michigan in the early 1900's.
Mr. Futvoye was born in Detroit and spent his early life there. He was married on October 25, 1893 to Miss Jessie Paterson of West Lorne, Ontario,Canada, who had come to Detroit to seek an occupation. Jessie's brother, Malcolm Paterson, married Estelle Cox in Detroit. All of them went to the South, working for the Brownlee Lumber Co.
After having lived in Chattanooga, Tennessee and Meridian,Mississippi, for a time, the families moved to Shubuta,Mississippi where they were associated with the Brownlee Lumber Co. until the formation of the Futvoye-Paterson Lumber Co. partnership. Then came the move to Shuqualak in Noxubee County in 1914.
Mr. and Mrs. Futvoye had a son and a daughter; Mr. and Mrs. Paterson, a daughter and two sons. The families were active in the religious, civic and social life of the town and county. For some years Mr. Paterson served as Mayor of Shuqualak.
A 1960 Macon Beacon "Passing In Review" column of July 11, 1924, depicted the wonderful July 4 celebration at the Frith Lake Clubhouse at Frith Lake seven miles from Macon.
The clubhouse was built in the Fall of 1923, but due to severe
winter weather was not used extensively until spring and summer. The
July 11, 1924 article states
"The officers officially installed are: W. B. Patty, President; W. C. Futvoye, Vice-President; L. L. Martin, Secretary and Treasurer. The Governing Committee consists of: W. C. Futvoye, E. T. George, W. B. Patty and M. L. Paterson."
Late in the 1920's the Futvoye-Paterson partnership decided to expand their holdings, buying a tract of fine timber near Evergreen,Alabama. A mill was erected, but unfortunately the timing was bad since it happened at the time of the business failure of 1929 and the beginning of the Great Depression. The Government stepped in at that time and declared the NRA(National Recovery Act). Although this assisted the individual workers, it was death to the employer who could not afford higher wages for labor. During this time both the Shuqualak and Evergreen mills had to be closed. At this critical time the owners took care of every outstanding obligation without declaring bankruptcy, even at great sacrifice to themselves.
In 1939, Mr. and Mrs. Futvoye moved to Macon with their children, Mr. & Mrs. Burton Ford and family, where they lived until their deaths in 1948 and 1951.